Nemea - Sights
• the Monastery of Panagia Vrachos
• the 4 old quarters
• the Archaeological site
• the Wineries
• the Wine Museum.
It was founded in the 17th Century (1631) of course it had started to be built several years earlier,beginning of the 16th century and in 1631 it was officially declared a Monastery with the permission of the High Gate, Our Lady of the Rock had a great contribution in the struggle for the liberation of the nation.
In those years the sacred iconostasis of the Monastery was gilded,sign of the wealth accumulated there by the respect and faith of the people. Inside the cave there is and still survives a spring, holy water, which even during the years of Ottoman rule fed and refreshed the fathers and the fighters who found safety there during periods of raids.
The Holy Icon
The Holy Icon is kept today in the Metochi of Agios Athanasios for greater protection.She is described as the Holy Mary of Passion.To the right and left of Her figure and at the top there are two Angels kneeling,bearers and symbols of Passion .
Her miracles are many and we have many testimonies of miraculous interventions of the Virgin Mary.
The temple of DIOS and the Museum
Undoubtedly the most important sights of Nemea are the temple of Zeus and the Stadium.The foundation of the temple is about 44.5 meters long and about 22 meters wide.The columns are about 10 meters high and still stand imposing in the nematode field.The temple was built of porphyry in the 4th century BC. century on the site of a probably archaic temple.It consists of an elongated nave with a pronaos and a sanctuary. The columns of the wing were Doric, six on the east and west sides and twelve on the north and south sides.The foundation of an oblong altar east of the temple is preserved. The stadium is about 180 meters away and has been built in the best part of the valley as it has amazing views. A few kilometers west of Nemea, near the small village of Aidonia, Mycenaean tombs were excavated between 1978 and 1980 - mostly looted - belonging to the Mycenaean city of Arathyrei, which Homer calls "eratini", meaning attractive.
In April 1993 a large collection of Mycenaean stamps and jewelry - a total of 312 items - was exhibited for auction in New York.As it was obvious that the objects were a single whole, the Greek archaeologists soon found out that they were the product of the looting of the Mycenaean tombs of Aidonia. Thus, after a court battle, the collection, which is widely known as the treasure of the Aidonia, was finally returned to the homeland.The treasure consists of two gold rings-seals, with a chariot representation of one and two women holding flowers on the other, three more rings, two gold and one of amber, three steatite seals, amethyst and agate, gold jewelry and gold beads as well as a large number of other beads from various materials. The objects date mainly to 1500 - 1400 BC.